Browse Ask a Question
Rss Categories

Building Maintenance and Renovations

1 Do you have the keys to my office? Can you let me into a building? Featured

Your department’s key control representative should have a key. If that person is not available, call (530) 752-1655. You will need to present campus identification before being admitted. If you require admission for a special event, you should contact…

2 Who maintains work after it’s complete?

If the work was done on a university-owned asset, Facilities Management will maintain it. If the work was done on department-owned asset, the department is responsible for maintenance. Facilities, fixtures or equipment that is under warranty must be maintained…

3 Can we get the same project manager for all our projects?

A project manager may be available upon request, depending on workload. Work assignments can also be made according to location, so someone already handling projects in an area will often be assigned to a nearby job. In some cases, a particular project manager…

4 Do you know who is working in my building?

Because of the nature of the work and our work schedules, we do not always know who is working in a particular building. You may ask any Facilities employee or contractor to present identification and they should gladly show it to you and tell you why they…

5 Does a person from my department need to be present during the project?

All we require is a contact name and phone number for the person who requested the service. If you would like someone to be present, then by all means do so.

6 Does UC Davis have a strategy for keeping its buildings in good repair?

Facilities Management maintains a long-range maintenance plan for major needs, which helps when projecting the appropriate funding for a budget year. The goal is to perform more planned maintenance, rather than reactive maintenance.

7 During what hours will you work on our project?

Work is scheduled between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. weekdays. On non-emergency projects, we will work with you to schedule the work at a mutually convenient time. Some projects must be done during evening or weekend hours so as not to disrupt operations.

8 How do I dispose of a key that is bent and cracked?

If you have a key that is bent or cracked so that it does not work in a lock, it should be returned to the Facilities Management Lock Shop. Please send the key via Inter Office mail to Facilities Lock Shop / Key Control with a note explaining why you are…

9 How do I know if Facilities Management can do the type of work we need done?

Facilities Management does any type of work needed on campus. Depending on the type and scope of the job, an outside contractor may be used. All contracted projects will be managed by Facilities Management or Design & Construction Management.

10 How do I know my room temperature?

Campus heating and cooling equipment is set to maintain indoor room temperatures between 68 and 78 degrees. If there is a thermostat in your area, it should display the approximate room temperature, but may not be accurate, depending on where it is relative…

11 How do I search for a building?

You can go online to the Campus Map and all of the buildings are located there. If you cannot find your building still then give us a call and we can help you locate it.

12 How often are the bathrooms cleaned?

Refer to custodial services, but they should be cleaned every day and if you notice it is not happening then get a work order placed for this to happen.

13 May I hire my own vendor or outside contractor?

No. the campus must follow strict policy and legal guidelines in the bidding of projects and hiring of contractors. In addition, it is often preferable to use in-house services for facility maintenance or alterations because Facilities Management staff understand…

14 What do I do if I find a rodent or unwanted pests in my building or on my grounds?

We can call pest control for you and they will take care of it.

15 What do I do if my building gets damaged?

Please contact Customer Support at 752-1655 to report the Building damage.

16 What does a typical construction schedule look like?

Construction schedules vary in detail, but the main components are start and end dates, critical path components — in other words, the significant steps that must be undertaken and the order in which they must be performed — and major milestone completion…

17 What is building commissioning?

“Total building commissioning” is a process for validating that facilities and building systems can be operated and maintained according to their design intent. The commissioning process begins at project inception and continues for the life of the facility,…

18 What is my building's official name, CAAN or Zone number?

You can look these up in FacilitiesLink (UC Davis login required) or contact Facilities Management Customer Service for this information.

19 What is the campus standard for room temperature?

The campus standard for room temperature is 68 to 78 degrees Fahrenheit (20 to 26 Celsius) year round. This standard is based on what is safe and healthy for human beings. Animal facilities and other special-use spaces may be maintained at different temperatures.…

20 What kind of unit heats or cools my building?

It depends on the building, but your building could be served by one of the following systems: DX unit (direct expansion), Evaporate cooling water, or Loop (chilled or heated water in the system).

1 2 Next